September 9, 2009

Antwerp, Belgium


Eric couldn´t make Antwerp, so I decided to go alone. Other than a couple train mishaps, the trip was fine.

I happened to be there on a special occasion. It was called "The Reunion". After the French Revolution many of the paintings in the cathedral were moved to Paris and sold etc. Many were by Peter Paul Rubens of whom Belgium is very very proud. Rubens would roll over in his grave if he saw the drawing I did of Christ being taken down from the cross.

On display was much of the missing works which were taken over 200 years ago.

PS: I was real impressed by the train station of all things. Also, a guy ripped me off on a Belgian waffle. Whatever.

5 comments:

Kim said...

Beautiful! Kaley and Mom and I just read all of your new posts! I am so excited that you went to the museum. When I read about it, I knew that you HAD to go there! And you went to Antwerp! Did it feel totally different in Belgium?

Keith said...

It didn't feel too different. They still speak dutch - not Belgish :P Also realized the guy didn't rip me off on the waffle... I think they say "two" like "twee" and I thought he said "three".

Kim said...

Oh, that is hilarious! ;-)

Kovi is having serious separation anxiety issues. I can't even leave him with Mammaw. This morning the first words out of his mouth were, "I had a dream that I went to where Mommies never ever come back."

Keith said...

Poor little guy :( He may think I´m gone forever!

Kim said...

He has asked about you a lot! We are counting down the days.