September 18, 2009

Back to Voice Recognition

I have been using voice recognition ever since I got back from the Netherlands. I had a lot of energy the first day I got back. I want to change a few things. This is something I really need to do.

For anybody that is interested, I am using Dragon Naturally Speaking. I am also using a Bluetooth microphone. It is a Plantronics Cs70N. I am sitting in a lazy boy chair. Instead of using a computer monitor, I am using a projector. I can lay back and look at the image on the wall.

I don't think anybody will use voice recognition unless they have to. The problem really isn't that the voice recognition is not accurate, the accuracy amazes me. The problem is with the interaction with the applications. Using a mouse by voice is just awkward. How could it not be awkward?

When programming I realize that I use my body to express what I am thinking. When you play basketball your body automatically performs for you. Can you imagine having to say, "push ball down, toss the ball 53° over opponent". Even if you got 100% accuracy, you just can't do it that way.

Maybe that isn't it. Maybe this forces me to think before I can enter something. I've always had difficulty getting the thoughts out of my head. I have a smoother connection between my brain and my body than my brain and my tongue. Or maybe it is that I have never learned to think before I act.

Not being able to program like I used to changed my world considerably.

3 comments:

Keith said...

Actually, I am not programming per se. Mark is doing most of the work there. It has been a difficult adjustment for me, but it is working out better than I expected.

Diane said...

How is the kitchen project going?

Keith said...

It looks very nice. I need somebody to put a little fire under my britches.