June 17, 2010

Diving In And Programming

Just back from pool with Kovi and Kaley.  Spent two and a half hours swimming and playing.  Kovi made his first dive off the side of the pool.  I showed him how by raising one leg up while the other stayed planted.  Right before the dive, he said, "I don't want to do it."  I said, "Well then don't.  There's no hurry.  You've got *years* to learn."  I wasn't trying to con him into it... but that just made him spring head first!

Sissy is giving him a bath now.  Now he's hollering for underwear since he's a fireman and he'll get fired if they find him on the job without any clothes on.

I am programming these days with a combination of voice and typing.  I have made a habit of stretching my arms over my head whenever I issue commands or feel pain.

Wait... I'm the fire... they're putting me out.

Okay.  Where was I?  Yeah, yeah.  I also work with a projector on a wall and sit in a recliner so I'm not hunched into that tensed crouch.

I have also slowed down... and thinking a lot more before I hackety-hack for hours just to see something.  At the same time, I've been working longer.  At one point I never thought I'd say this, but I really like the C++ programming language.  I've also found the Qt Creator IDE and Qt libraries (now Nokia, and actively supported by them and the universe) very nice.  It has save my arms a lot not having to bounce around so much.

I have had this growing thought that I'd like to teach again some day.  I look forward to seeing the next generation push on.  Sounds like I'm getting old on that note, but for the record, I wanna push too :-)

No comments: