August 4, 2010

First Fish With Fly Rod --- Almost

Went to Bass Pro again.  Wanted to try different flies.  So cool.  Customer jumped in.  Serviceman whipped out topo map of bay area.  Discussions on depth broke out.  Color.  Locations.  Making your own flies.  Got to see some baby shrimp one guy had made.  He uses some epoxy that is malleable until you flash it with UV rays.  Really enjoyed the excitement in the discussion.  In that big Bass Pro Shop, I think the stoke is there in the fly fishing dept.

Decided to go to same spot (bay side at Moses Lake inlet).  Long story short I hooked a trout (almost sure).  Despite it being a relatively small guy, 10-12", it was a thrill.  Since I had never hooked a fish on my fly rod I didn't know what to do.  I could tell you don't just reel it in.  The fish was zipping this way and that and jumping.  I was over excited and think I pulled too hard which broke the leader.  I hate the thought of that little guy with a hook in his mouth.  I'm kicking myself.

I am really not a fisherman, but this felt like *fishing* - I mean what I imagine fishing to be like, but maybe more so.  It was better than I thought it would be.  The fish are not even really biting right now.

The sun set in almost a replica of yesterday's sunset.

Unfortunately, I am coming down with my family's cold.  There's been a lot of hacking and coughing.  Now, I guess, it is my turn.  Every swallow takes a bit of effort over that sore spot.  Wah.

1 comment:

Kim said...

So glad you are stoked about fly-fishing!
So sorry about the cold.