December 16, 2010

Shock Therapy

Thanks again to Diane and most likely mom, my dad is up here working with me on the kitchen - the project I'm embarrassed to say has taken me so long that I should be shot.

There were all these mini projects to do - the two lazy susans, the range hood, the **hole** in the countertop, the plumbing, the sealer, the door hole deals, the trash can slider-outer, the sink lock in, the faucet install, the sprayer thing, the wood detail around the sink etc.

I **hate** going to home depot when I don't know what I need.  There are so many choices and this time they had hyper Christmas music on.  It takes a two man front to push through it.  It's impossible to do alone.

My typical experience when I don't know what I need at Home Depot - My eyes swim and dart all over the parts.  I go into a daze.  Echo.  My legs get heavy.  The music is awful.  My blood sugar drops to zero.  The concrete gets harder.  The intercom is droning.  My face gets itchy.  I want out.  The beep beep and buzz of the fork lifts are depressing.  I'm almost there.  If I can just find the part... it'll all be over... I'm overwhelmed and faltering.  The music is on my nerves.  I'm tensing.  I can't come back!  I don't wanna come back.  I don't wanna... it'll never work...  What is wrong with me???  I need to shave.  There has to be something that will work...  I'm an idiot!  Why am I this way???  Where's the part?  Focus.  It's here.  I'm telling you, it's here.  Beep beep beep.... zone...

My dad and I almost had twin strokes in the plumbing aisle when a frenzied "ho ho ho" song came on.    My dad had had enough and found a comfy bag of cement to sit on.  I foraged onwards on through mixed up plumbing items.  They didn't have what I wanted.  Crafty as I am, I concocted a contraption that looked like a tinkertoy experiment that would *almost* work... but finally I decided my dad's health might be more important.

Next morning we went to Moore plumbing supply.  Found the part within 20 seconds.

Today, we bought and installed a vent/hood for the stove.  I knew the wires were hot.  They were capped.  I thought I could stick them through the little hole without being electrocuted.  When the electricity hit me I saw a blinding flash of lightning.  Not a bolt.  Just a sheet of blue-white light.  My tongue curled up and touched the roof of my mouth which filled with a tangy metallic taste.  I then felt that same strange clarity I had when I fell out of the tree a couple days ago.  Kinda like somebody hit the reset button.  I was bracing the steel hood with my head.  Guessing I got a good zap through my ears.  My dad, whose pacemaker is electrically sensitive, asked me if talked to papaw.  I said, "No, I met with Ralph Waldo Emerson!

It's all lookin' good now except that we have 3 water leaks that we know of.  I was a plumber for a while so it makes sense that the only real trouble that we have is with the stuff I supposedly know how to do.

We have called U-Haul and are renting a trailer to take the Honda Element to Taylor.

... interruption... cutting tape out of Kovi's hair...

... Kim has a cold and is coughing... and I have to mimic every cough of hers with my own annoying version...

... Kaley lost her cellphone...

All normal!

5 comments:

Diane said...

I can't wait to see your craftsmanship, and your Dad's, in Kim's finished kithchen!

Diane said...

"kitchen"

Keith said...

Well Diane, the kitchen will never really be finished. I wanna put new flooring in for instance. Table needs re-doing. Windows. Ceiling. Lights. Fan... Matching fridge for rest of appliances... Smooth out the countertop epoxy... etc. etc. etc. However, it's coming along.

Anonymous said...

When Daddy told me about the leaks yesterday evening, my comment was that the Vetter family should expect that NOTHING ever goes smooth for our family. It would be abnormal. Expect kinks. Expect leaks. But, expect that in the end, we get to see it all work out! You get your shopping psychosis from both Daddy and I. I am the only woman alive that hates to shop! And, of all things... because of my busy work, church, and social schedule, I have ended up with a record one day to shop for Christmas... Saturday, Dec 18th. I might as well call for an ambulance tomorrow evening and get it over with! Love, Mom

Kim said...

Thank you for all of the work and frustration, Keith and Dad - I washed dishes in my sink for the first time tonight! It was fun. The kitchen is looking great. Thanks, Diane for encouraging Keith. Thanks, Mom, for sending Dad to us!