May 3, 2011

12 1/2" Largemouth

Caught it on the #3 rod.  My leader went to 4lb (0.008").  Caught on wooly bugger with the following materials:
  • #10 barbless hook
  • internal lead (the heavy metal) thread
  • gold bead head
  • olive marabou
  • olive neck hackle 
  • black thread
  • thin brown chenille
I finally taught myself how to tie a nail knot last night.  I redid my leader to flyline connection with a nail knot so it'd be smaller and slide through the rod eyes easier.  Also took 3/16" off of the backing since the flyline was just barely squeezing in the reel.  Got to use another nail knot for that.

For the record, I think a nail knot only works if the knot is *biting* into the parent thread (geez, I sound like a programmer).  I like nail knots and blood knots.  I'm not particularly fond of the improved clinch knot as it can kink the line sometimes.  I tried un-improving the clinch knot and reverting to a simple clinch knot but it seems like it didn't work too well.  Should learn a new one for tying the hooks.

For the record again, I tried the "double surgeon knot" and think in my tiny test that the blood knot is better because I think the blood knot makes a more straight joint.

For more record, this was a record, that was the biggest bass I've caught around here or anywhere for that matter :-)  Wish I would have had my camera.  Fun catch.  The #3 is small but stronger than you'd think.  It's so much fun for me.  I can't explain why it makes me so happy.

No comments: