May 18, 2011

Work And Figure 66

I think my blog might make it look like all I do is fish, paint, play baseball with the kids, hang out, daydream, watch the garden, wonder around, goof off etc.

Really, I am working most of the time.  Most of what I blog is maybe getting away from work.  When I blog I'm not working.  If every action has a reaction, the same energy that goes into work ricochets into blogging, fishing, playing catch, taking pictures etc.

There's a difference between work and hobbies.  With hobbies you can toss them if you get bored.  Work doesn't stop when you hit a wall or get tired.

Even while at work I wonder if it's work.  But it is.  I try and assure myself of this.

Honestly, when I am painting I am thinking of graphics and shaders.  I have been teaching myself new knots.  I wonder how that applies.  Yesterday while wade fishing, after "tethering clippers to my 'suit'", I actually thought, "This is as close as I'll get to being an astronaut." (but that's not work, that's just daydreaming... something I'm *really* good at)

While playing catch I think about the tutorial I wrote where I studied the physics of a baseball pitch.

While teaching Kaley some geometry today, I thought about how we use taxonomy and how these taxonomic trees create definitions and how this applies to inheritance in object oriented programming.  It reminded me of Larry's new job title and how people up the taxonomic tree move blocks and create the tree.

Most likely, Buffalo Wild Wings, Columbo, catch, art, frustration, guilt, beer, no planning, no commitments, fishing, medicine for nerves, working alone, "Spoonbill", blogging, not having a clue about space shuttles (how many are there?), walking for miles, talking to Myles - all that probably revolves around work.  I should know more about this dark matter probe... for goodness sakes I work for NASA!  But I don't!  And I promise, I care.  I really do.  But you say, "How can you care if you don't ____________?"  You fill in the blank.  Just fill it in.

But if you asked me what I do, I'd probably just kinda laugh and start talking about beer brands... because really I'm not sure what I'm doing... but whatever it is... dang... it takes a lot...  It's not a mystery I'm holding back.  I honestly don't know!  I told Kim I'm working on not being a shade-tree mechanic.  That's it in a nutshell.  And don't tell me you really like shade-tree mechanics.  Nobody likes them.  Everybody thinks they like them... but they don't.  And nobody is going to buy a painting either, not even for $25 bucks a pop.

I just have to say that because I think some people think I'm a goof off.  That's really not true.  For real.  But when I goof off, I really try hard to completely goof off.  There's no half-way when it comes to goofing off.

But I might just be stupid... and running around in my own circles of logic... Maybe where I succeed or fail is in not gathering a crew around me to verify myself or believe what I believe is this or that.  I don't trust anybody else enough for that.  Everybody is nuts.  But nuts is okay.  I tend to trust people who understand that and don't create structures where it all adds up... I especially don't trust people who, no matter what the conversation is, fall in the same hole.  Some people - all they really think about is *food*! However, I do hope for verification through comments and "likes" on this blog.

By reading this post you might conclude that your tax dollars must be going to waste... after all... this guy can't be serious.  Exactly!  But can't you see this is after the fact of work???  Do you know what kind of work it takes to not work so hard after working???  You don't kick back on the couch!  You try and catch back what little mind you have left... and laugh...

This is proof!  I believe if your mind is on even keel you'll be quite convinced too that I must be onto *something*, something important, something worth your tax dollars pursuing.  And quite possibly this should be my monthly report that nobody reads!  My blog, after all, is insanely more popular than my monthly stinking report.

There, my friend, is a curve ball... but was it really?  Nah. Shwap!  Steeeeeee----rike!!!

3 comments:

Kim said...

I love your blog. And yes, you do work very hard. I see you through the glass window on your door deep in programming concentration. Glad it is you and not me!

Keith said...

Thanks for reading, Kim.

Keith said...

Think it's time for a nap on the couch :-)