August 10, 2011

Truckin'

Once I drove to Big Bend
I bought one CD
I drove alone
I drove all the way to Big Bend
I bought "The Greatest Hits Of The Grateful Dead"

I listened to it over and over and over and over
And over

I was truckin'

Nothing like blooming cactoos
In the desert
The Chee-wha-whan desert

I sat at camp #2 or #3
At the border of Mexico
Terilingua?

I watched dust clouds
In the distance
Rise
Until
The rushing wind
Rushed in

Uncle John's bend
Along the river
The Rio Grande

Friend of the devil
Is a friend of mine

Spent the night in Utah
With my wife
Got Pizza in California
Froze on the beach

From there
In Arizona
Stepped out
In lava
So hot
It was buzzing

Roll away

In Alabama
I hung on a piece of sandstone
Granite in Asheville

Flew over Jersey
Saw the Statue Of Liberty
Out the window

Pulled up in Reno
Stood on purple carpet
Lost twenty three dollars
Looked over the city
And wondered what Vegas was like

Almost ran out of gas
In the salt flats

Roll away

Pike's Peak
Joshua Tree
North Shore
Big pecan in downtown Seguin

Drippin' roof
In a van
A rusty roof
Dreadlocks driving
All night

Do you know what
35 mph winds do
Over open sea?

It'll break your board
You'll buy another
And 10 years later
Your son will catch
His first wave on that board

Have you seen the light?
Uncle John's Bend?
The Rio Grande?
 Where does the time go?

Come here
By the river side

Play some washers
Under oak trees
See me

I can see
My grandpa
My grandma
At the stove

Roll away

Houston
Dallas
Waco
Austin

Keep truckin'

El Paso

Keep rollin'

Sometimes I can barely see
Lately it occurs to me
What a long strange trip it's been

Keep truckin'
On

I will get by
I will get by
I will survive

Keep on driving that train

Gotta catch
That connect
At a quarter to nine

5 comments:

Kim said...

Remember when we were young and you drove a van and I made you necklace out of little rainbow beads? :)

Keith said...

I drove a van. It wasn't a hippie van either LOL!

Keith said...

I'm just laughing because I forgot a drove a van as my primary means of transportation. One person in a van. That's funny.

Kim said...

That is funny...I don't think you had much of a choice! Why did you have that van anyway???

Keith said...

It was the family car and my parents let me drive it.