November 3, 2011

Lens Worked!

After some bumbling (really faulty equipment), I was able to increase the current off the solar cell by using a lens.  I think the voltage runs the same as long as you have minimal light so all we need to do is measure current to get power output (P=I*V)

I am really glad I bought this amp meter (even though the needle was stuck until I bent it up!).  It is very sensitive and in the right range.  You can totally see the difference even when a tiny shadow crosses.

When I saw the needle jump up after crossing the lens light over the panel I jumped for joy and ran in to get Kim.

Pretty cool!

PS: I was just able to double the current... hee hee...

PPS: This isn't to say we have a "new way"... I'm guessing that if I had turned the panel directly to the sun... it probably wouldn't make as much of a difference... Also guessing that it's a matter of economics i.e. the lense cost more than the panel... however we do have an inexpensive fresnel lense to try and I'm hoping it works mo bettah.  I think the fun is that it's a real science experiment for us as we didn't google it.  We have/had no idea how it will/would work.

No comments: