July 30, 2011

Getting Started

Why would I - only now - learn how to tie my thread to a hook???  I've built maybe a hundred flies.  Why would I do this?  Why not learn from the start how to begin???  Why!?!?

Why would I get a tickle in my chest as I read steps 1,2 and 3 - and flush in satisfaction as I completed wrap number four while holding the tag end left->right and gently wrapping angled right->left?

Why not learn the correct way from the beginning?!?  Why allow myself the frustration?  And not follow step-by-step - the rules?

I'm not exactly sure how to answer that.  I'll say I'm not the type who thinks he can figure it all out without a teacher.  I'll readily listen.


Any starting point has a history of successes and failures.  It's good to throw yourself into what it was like "pre-start"... so when you start... from the first wind on the hook, 6" tag end, front-side of hook, bobbin up, over, pull left-right right-left, 4 winds toward shank... you understand, "yes, that's the way"

And when you start - you feel a nice push - an acceleration... because by then the correct way is natural - a relief...

I think throwing oneself prestart knowing there is a real start is an educational way of throwing oneself into the position of being at the ground floor of something.  It's an awkward place for sure - but an exciting one too :-)

PS: i know my hook isn't set in the hook vice correctly... i need a better hook vice ;-)

No comments: