June 20, 2009

Cut

Last night, during the poker game with coworkers I had just won a hand which I was dealing and was raking in the chips when somebody noticed that one of my opponents had miscalled his hand. He had actually won. I grew up playing that you had to call your own cards. So in a fluster I asked the house, "But that's not right, you have to call your own cards." He told me that was house rules and that I had lost. I said, "Okay." (I actually looked up the official rules online and found that "cards speak" which means I was officially wrong.) Still, I was flustered.

Then there was this strange pause and one of the guys gives a strange half-speech-like pronouncement, holding a deck of green cards up high, that somebody had cheated or something. I was still in the middle of remembering my grandpa teaching me how to play poker... and thinking Daddy would say the same... *you* have to call your hand... but then taken in by this odd pronouncement that *something* had happened... by the sound of it I thought it was some joke... as I was having a hard time keeping up with all the conversation bouncing all over the place...

Then I found out the pronouncement was about *me*. *I* was caught cheating while cutting the deck. *I* had looked at the bottom card and then cut it to the middle. One person was nodding in agreement during the pronouncement. Then others started saying, "I didn't see anything!"

I was shocked. I honestly didn't remember even holding any cards between the pulling chips, miscall-recall, house challenge, pushing chips back. I had no defense other than I didn't do it.

On that hand I happened to be dealer. The dealer button was passed and I was supposed to cut for the next dealer. I'm guessing somebody handed me a deck of cards and I opened them up and stuck them back together. I'm guessing I looked.

Now I was more flustered than ever. Could people think I was upset over my challenge so I tried to sneak a peak on the cut --- as if that'd help me??? I just wanted to clear things up so I said, "Look I *really* don't even know what happened." To this, the guy who had brought it up gave another speech, humorous, about the movie Contact and believing in aliens or something and said, "I believe you." And then I think there was another round of "I didn't see anything!" to which the house calmed me by saying, "It's nothing... you were on auto-pilot..."

I think the whole time, the more disconcerting thing was the thought, "I *don't* cheat. They think I could. Haven't I shown them?"

And still today, I know it was no big deal... but I can't let it go... but if you only knew how much I didn't cheat... inside and outside the game... straight up... A lot of what it's all about, my leaving, is just that. It's so the opposite.

17 comments:

Kaley said...

dosn't EVERYONE know you wouldn't cheat???

Kim said...

I hate that feeling! My face would be all hot and red and I would cry!!! I am sooo sorry. You are the LAST person who would ever cheat on anything!!! How on earth could they tell that somebody had cheated anyway? I am so sorry that happened to you.

Keith said...

You know what they say about the LAST person you would have ever thought would do such and such.... it is *them* that *always* get caught doing it! Haven't you ever watched "24"???

Keith said...

And there I'm using my wry sense of humor to dissuade you from thinking that I would do such a thing.

Keith said...

The last comment was to ensure that if you were doubting... and had thought I was trying to joke my way out of it that I had that covered.

Keith said...

And I'm only opening myself up here to make me seem vulnerable, taking advantage of your caring nature to convince you that I'm not a cheat.

Keith said...

I will convince your subconscious, because *I* will win... because I realize how important your trust is... and I need it... to serve my own ends.

Keith said...

I'm only left to think that I reek of self-deception. This conversation hasn't even been to you Kim, it has been to that demon in me, that last night, seized power and peeked at that card which I placed in the middle of the deck.

Anonymous said...

Keith, do you not yet understand that people in this world don't recognize goodness when they see it? We killed the honest person Who has ever lived! Mom V

Keith said...

And now I find a further self-deception. I cast the blame on a "demon"... blaming the devil for my sins!

Keith said...

No! I *DID* peek! It is the only possible choice! Instead of forgiveness, I seek the quickest possible punishment to excracate myself from this offense. But it is no good! Once trust is lost, it is near impossible to recover! I will live, banished, from the trust network of my coworkers forever. There is no consolation.

Keith said...

Kaley, I hate to tell you... but the reason I win, most of the time, in Yahtzee, is because I... well... I've got crooked dice... and I didn't want you to win... because I have a problem with other people succeeding because I don't handle failure real well. Really, I want a big company and I want to screw everybody I can so I can get a big house and sit in it by myself and count my Benjamins. It's a life long dream of mine. Sorry to mix your butt up in this mess I've made.

Keith said...

Or maybe, Kaley, I am just trying to find some meaning... and being a squished ant isn't my idea of living... so I'm gonna be a big ant... don't get in my way with your goody goody stuff.

Kim said...

The devil made you do it!

Keith said...

And really, I could have cheated. I feel sorry for those who have and have regretted it. I'm no better. Maybe I'll cheat on purpose next time.

Robert said...

ctrl-alt-delete...time to reboot...blue screen of death approaching...wait, your probably running linux...

Keith said...

I run
Ubuntu
Linux - So much for Ubuntu :)