June 19, 2009

Possible Reason For Squares

I just happened to read a quote today by G.H.Hardy:

A mathematician, like a painter or poet, is a maker
of patterns. If his patterns are more permanent than
theirs, it is because they are made with ideas.

And what do mathematicians do? I read the following:

So mathematicians sit around making patterns of ideas. What sort of patterns? What sort of ideas? Ideas about the rhinoceros? No, those we leave to the biologists. Ideas about language and culture? No, not usually. These things are all far too complicated for most mathematicians’ taste. If there is anything like a unifying aesthetic principle in mathematics, it is this: simple is beautiful.

Mathematicians enjoy thinking about the simplest possible things, and the simplest possible things are imaginary.

I believe I read elsewhere that mathematician types are fascinated with relationships, and are typically unable to relate like normal people, they prefer relating symbols... and this might explain the lines and borders between squares... the different objects... their positions...

I have a poker game tonight. I'm afraid I'm going to bail early to get back here. I got three NetFlix in the mail and three blank canvases... and had a really good work week.

That reminds me, early in the week I read some about game theory. Poker is a zero-sum game if you are just chip counting.

I like competition. I don't particularly like zero-sum games. It's not at all true that where games are, there's competition and where there's competition there are only losers and winners.

Game theory applied to Economics... ack... gotta get off and stop rambling...

No comments: